“A man should look as if he has bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forgotten all about them.” --Sir Hardy Amies

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Style Takes Some Coordination

"Dressing would be monotonous without the graphic interest of a variety of designs" --Alan Flusser


Being a young professional, I don't read this as an invitation to wear any combination of stripes, dots, or plaid together with the idea of suggesting that I don't care what anyone else thinks--but a tasteful mixing of serious patterns is a good way to liven things up.  On the subject of patterns, I think gingham is a good place for young professionals to start.  But finding a tie can be tricky.



A gingham shirt with a tie is great for business casual--the gingham provides the casual and the tie provides the business.  But not any tie will work here.  As numerous style gurus have noted, the key to pattern combination is contrasting scales and complimentary/coordinating colors.  This navy micro-gingham calls for a larger pattern like this pin dot, and navy and orange dots coordinate/compliment with the navy check .  Also the darker navy base of the tie keeps the mix of patterns conservative, and the orange dots pop just enough.  When mixing and matching patterns at the office, I think it's best to keep the colors subdued--at least in the middle of the week.


I like to pair this with a medium/lighter gray wool trouser--gray and navy always look smart together.  I think coordinating simple and basic patterns, appropriately, is one of the best ways to appear put together, and not seem like I'm trying too hard or dressing above my paygrade.



It can be difficult to take the edge off of start solids.  But with an informal, earthy blazer that has some hints of navy woven in it, I complete an office appropriate ensemble that has some relaxed, lived in and dressed down style--and it got me through a rather long day.



N.M.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment