“A man should look as if he has bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forgotten all about them.” --Sir Hardy Amies

Monday, May 3, 2010

Plain White Dress Shirt

"A crisp white dress shirt is the gray flannel pants of shirts." --Esquire

I figured I should start with the basics.  A white dress shirt doesn't have to be dull or excessively formal.  Instead of looking like an IRS or FBI agent, adding a white stripe and some luster with my tie give my white shirt some personality.  A button down collar (especially if it rolls well--something for another post), chest pocket and placket, button cuffs, and the texture of a pinpoint oxford weave will make sure no one thinks I'm attending a state dinner.  I think this ensemble is crisp and sharp, but not like I'm still on my first interview.


I could make the look more casual with a blazer and trousers, or more business (which was my preference) with a dark navy suit.  To keep my youthful vibe and ensure I didn't look like I was trying to dress like the boss, I added a cotton pocket square--silk would be too flashy here--and kept the pattern fun and the fold basic.



I can dress my age and be appropriate in the office wearing a white shirt even when I have no special occasion. I find it adds some polish and perhaps a classic quality that a blue shirt wouldn't.

N.M.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment