“A man should look as if he has bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forgotten all about them.” --Sir Hardy Amies

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A 'Traditional' Approach

"It was a good look and still is. Next to a tuxedo or military uniform, there's nothing that makes a guy look better than Ivy League."-- Charlie Davidson, the Andover Shop

Some staples of Ivy League style work as well for young professionals in the office as it does for co-eds at a mixer.  Neat and traditional enough for the business casual office, but the classic iconography adds some completeness and depth to an otherwise plain look.


 One great example is the university stripe button down shirt in traditional oxford cloth--blue is the most obvious choice, but here I went with the red.  Since I'm going to tone down the Ivy look a bit, the red stripe keeps the Ivy look from getting lost.




A regimental tie pairs well, is consistent with the Ivy motif, and dresses up the shirt just the right ammount.  True Ivy style calls for a repp weave tie, but here I've worn an Irich Poplin--a 50/50 blend of merino wool and silk that makes for a matte finish and colors that pop.  I doubt anyone would stop me to say I need a repp tie, and after all I'm dressing for work, not a theme party.


A pair of tan wool gabardine trousers, a calfskin belt, and brown lace-ups, instead of cotton chinos, a grosgrain ribbon belt, and loafers, keeps the look office appropriate and out of the frat house.  But the Ivy feel is still in tact.  A blazer finishes it off--I prefer a darted blazer with a bit more structure than the natural shoulder garments of the 50's--but I think either works.


The Ivy League flavor keeps the outfit youthful and stylish, and a few tweaks remind everyone that I have actually graduated.

N.M.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment