“A man should look as if he has bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forgotten all about them.” --Sir Hardy Amies

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Casual Fridays

"The best thing about casual Friday is that it makes those of us who decline to observe it look really, really good." -- Esquire

My office doesn't have casual Friday's, but I do think it's a good day to loosen up a bit--and no, I don't mean a belly shirt or patriotic underpants a la Will Ferrell.  For me, it means giving my neck a day to let it all hang out--that's right, no necktie.  It took me some getting used too, and it felt a bit immodest at first--but I think I've been able to make it work.  I also avoid suits, obviously, unless I have to wear one.  But that's as casual as I get, and I would even recommend the same to young professionals who have the option of wearing jeans on Friday.  I suggest an informal seasonal sport coat, a pinpoint oxford button down in a not-so-basic color or pattern, and some trousers.


I like that this sport coat has a rough tweedy texture, and some subtle color woven into the fabric that goes well with blues and lavenders.  It's also on the shorter side, so its a bit more fun and casual that way.


Also, my pinpoint oxford is a very soft lavender, but it has a slight sheen.  And the collar has a great roll--when it's buttoned, the collar doesn't just lay flat but curls a bit from the top to the point.  It keeps your neck a little more interesting, and gives brings a relaxed, well worn attitude.  


I think the trousers really complete my casual Friday get-up--they're charcoal, but a wool synthetic blend that have an almost denim-y texture.  And they have a slim, modern cut.  I don't think anyone would notice the texture on first glance so they're safe for my conservative office.


So I still put some thought into my dressed-down Friday outfit--it's not complicated, but still coordinated, incorporating color and interesting textures.


N.M.C.


No comments:

Post a Comment