“A man should look as if he has bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forgotten all about them.” --Sir Hardy Amies

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Man and His Ties

"A well tied tie is the first serious step in life." --Oscar Wilde

Allow me to indulge in one of my hobbies for a few moments.  I love neckties.  I have for as long I've had regular occasions to wear them--which for me began in high school.  I don't know what it is about them exactly that makes me so fond of them--perhaps it's the evident craftsmanship in a good tie, or the fact that ties can so easily and obviously spruce up a tired suit or old shirt.  Maybe I'm just childishly drown toward all the pretty colors.  I do know I love the task of selecting just the right tie to go with everything else, and the satisfaction that comes with getting it right.  I also think that one's choice of tie actually suggests something about his character and background--information that can be quite useful in many social situations.  And whenever I visit a haberdashery, especially for the first time, I immediately inspect the selection of ties--if the ties aren't too my taste, then I doubt much else will be either.  So I'd like to share on occasion some of the tie collections that I find particularly appealing.

Among the gobs of ties available at Saks 5th Avenue's flagship store, one rack of ties in particular stood out to me--and the maker might be surprising given all the luxury names Saks carries.  The brand is Breuer.

I liked these nice woven dots in bright but tasteful spring colors in particular.  Lately I've been drawn toward traditional patterns, and I think these were especially tasteful--I think the dots are just the right size and density.  A touch whimsical, but not too much.  In general I found the entire spring collection to be full of woven ties in colorful but classic and versatile designs.  And the quality, for the price point, is exceptional--these ties are made of luxurious thick silk and have quality wool linings--but the silk is not so powdery fine that it won't hold up to regular wear.  Breuer ties are designed in France and made in Italy, and can be found at Saks, and smaller independent haberdasheries around the country.  I believe they also make ties for the house Faconnable.  Here are the rest.  I was also quite fond of the woven linen and silk ties.


N.M.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment